The Andrew Carr Sr. home stands on roughly 1 ½ acres of river-front property.It is one of five homes built along a gradual bend in the
River in west central Minot between ca. 1900 and 1925.Both the large house and the modest carriage house are located on the rear (north) portion of the lot near the river.The carriage house predates the house and was actually Carr’s first residence.The expansive yard is interspersed with oaks, maples, firs and lilac bushes, many planted by the Carr family.A fluted wood flagpole with ball and finial stands southwest of the house.The once circular driveway which passed behind the house and around the cottage to the east now terminates at the carriage house.The tennis courts originally located east of the house have long since been eliminated with the separation of the property.At one time the residence to the east was called ‘the honeymoon cottage’, and built for Dr. Carr’s daughter.In the 1920’s a cottage to the west was built for the other daughter, and all three homes were heated by coal with adjoining pipes from the main house.
William Zimmerman’s design for the Carr home bridges the gap between the established Victorian-era esthetic and the growing taste for Classicism.Although the house is wrapped in a grandiose porch and art glass windows dot the elevations, the overriding emphasis of the exterior design is Classical. Stained and beveled glass are abundant in the Carr home and include large fixed leaded glass windows at both levels of the west bay, leaded glass transoms on the east bay, stained glass transoms in all main façade window treatments, and a stained glass lunette on the west elevation.A clear glass cameo window lights the gable peak above the Palladian-like window arrangement in the façade gable.
The Andrew Carr Sr. home is significant for its association with one of Minot’s most prominent families and is a physical monument to their accomplishments.Both Andrew Carr Sr. and his wife, Addie Carr, made important and lasting contributions to the city of Minot and the surrounding community during their 45 years of residency within the community.The home is also significant as one of a few well-preserved examples of massive architect-designed homes built by affluent
North Dakotans at the turn of the century.
Since the time that Dr. Carr and his wife occupied the home, it has since passed on to his son Andy Carr Jr. and Ruth Bennett Carr in 1945.They occupied the home until 1959 when Ernest and Corrine Livingston purchased the property. In 1966 it was purchased by Dr. Jens and Elaine Sahl, who resided there until 1973 when Richard and Rosalie Dobson acquired the residence.Having owned the home for a period of 19 years, Dick Dobson sold the home to Robert and Cynthia Jelleberg, who in 1993 established the property as a home to be shared with the public.We commend them for all their efforts in the restoration of this Minot landmark.In 1998 it was purchased by Pete and Shelly Pederson and family, to be used for the same purpose, but also to be enjoyed as the place they call home.In 2007 Jim and
Carol Carr (no relation to the Andrew Carr family) purchased it as their home to be shared with others and so continue to operate as The Dakotah Rose Bed and Breakfast.It is a wonderful privilege to be part of this piece of Minot’s history!
The Carr family home started to be built in 1903 and was finished and moved into in 1906.Its uncompromised setting, excellence of material workmanship, and generally well-preserved material integrity make it a fine example of its genre in
North Dakota.It is truly Minot’s ‘Hidden Treasure’!
The Dakota Rose (originally the Carr Family Home)